Category Archive: Clinical Microbiology

Thank You Dr. James Karlowski

After 11 years of serving on the CMPT Clinical Bacteriology Committee we are saying goodbye to Dr. James Karlowsky.  Dr. Karlowsky has been and invaluable help to CMPT during all these years, volunteering his expertise, knowledge and services. Over the

Posted in Clinical Microbiology, News

Carbapenem-Resistant Campylobacter species: Is Your Lab Ready?

Often highly effective at treating bacterial infections, carbapenem antibiotics are used to treat multi-drug resistant bacterial infections. However, a recent case study published in the American Society for Microbiology journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy reports that a Campylobacter coli infection

Posted in Clinical Microbiology

Better Testing Needed to Combat AMR: WHO’s Response to Multi-Drug Resistant Gonorrhea

In July of last year, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised warnings about the increasing prevalence of multi-drug resistant gonorrhea in a number of countries in Asia and Europe, as well as in Canada. According to the WHO, low coverage

Posted in Clinical Microbiology

Ensuring Diagnostic Testing Accuracy: COVID-19 and Point of Care Testing

It’s tempting to think of EQA providers as simply another step on the path to accreditation: a mandatory stop on the road to the real work of providing quality testing for patients, clinicians, governments, and customers. However, as guardians of

Posted in Clinical Microbiology

Name Change: To Change or Not to Change

A recent mycology Proficiency Testing survey targeted the yeast Candida or now called Clavispora lusitaniae. Approximately 30% of the participants reported the yeast with its current name: Clavispora +/- (Candida) lusitaniae while the other 70% or laboratories reported it as

Posted in Clinical Microbiology

Parasitology of the 21st Century: The Path to the Future

Kinga Kowalewska-Grochowska University of Alberta, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, APL Provincial Laboratory for Public Health, Edmonton AB Romina C Reyes University of British Columbia, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Vancouver, BC LifeLabs, Burnaby, BC Pauline Tomlin University
Posted in Article, Clinical Microbiology

Seeking Volunteers for PT Technical Committees: Clinical Bacteriology, Enteric Parasitology, and Water Microbiology

CMPT is seeking volunteers to sit on its Proficiency Testing Technical Committees for the following disciplines: Clinical Bacteriology, Enteric Parasitology, Water Microbiology. All members in all committees are actively involved in programmatic review and critique development. They play an essential
Posted in Article, Clinical Microbiology

Gastrointestinal Panel – New Program for 2024

CMPT is offering a Gastrointestinal Panel (GIP). This panel will cover 14 viral, bacterial, and protozoa pathogens mandated by the BC Infectious Diarrhea – Guideline for Investigation that came into effect October 27, 2022   The panel consists of sets

Posted in Article, Clinical Microbiology

Proteus mirabilis: Reporting susceptibility to ampicillin when cefazolin tests resistant

In February 2022 CMPT sent a simulated tissue biopsy proficiency testing challenge with a history of a 79 year old quadriplegic, long-term care resident, with bed sore ulcer. The sample contained a Proteus mirabilis that was susceptible to ampicillin and
Posted in Article, Clinical Microbiology

E. coli O157:H7 outbreak in Alberta

Keeping labs proficient in the detection of Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli On September 5, 2023 Alberta Health Services declared a Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC) (link), outbreak originating from six locations of a Calgary daycare and five additional sites that

Posted in Article, Clinical Microbiology